LYNNE SIMONE FINE ART Custom Pastels Specializing in Pet Portraits

.

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

ANATOMY OF A DOG PORTRAIT.... SIRIUS-LEE (NO, REALLY !)


I decided to do a portrait from start to finish and document the progress here...this is a commission of a chocolate lab that I am currently working on. First, I choose an appropriate color palette of pastels...

I start by enlarging the picture I am working from, then use it to block in the general shape of the animal. I check and recheck measurements, here. If this preliminary sketch is off, it will be harder to fix it down the road. I have 5 reference photos for this animal, each with a closeup of important parts, such as the nose and/eyes.

I block in the first layer of color, careful not to completely go over the outline sketch. At this point, think paint by number. This is also known as the "UGLY STAGE." (where you would think that this could NOT POSSIBLY turn out to be the likeness of the animal that it will become) Good placement and depth of the eyes is what my goal is. They must resemble two marbles, but be three dimensional and have enough color variation. I put the highlight in for the 3d effect. All other lights go on last.
Then I slowly begin to build layer upon layer of color to get the right shading. I do blend with my little finger and sometimes remove excess pastel with a chamois. At this point I take a step back and measure again. I am finding that the eyes are a bit too close together and will work to widen the space inbetween them without totally redoing them. Also, the head needs to be widened at the widest point, where the ears are the pointiest...
I'll add to this when I have more time....

1 comment:

Maria said...

I would think a chocolate lab is hard to do because of the color, very subtle contrasts. It's a beautiful dog! I know your portrait will be really great when you're done. :)

Maria